Wednesday 4 February 2009

A new start

OK - so heres what happened......

I worked for a large American Investment Bank in Canary Wharf for six years and before that have worked in other large blue chip companies for a total of 22 years! Wow thats a long time and boy did I spend a lot of time commuting in those years.

Then the credit crunch hit and it hit the Investment Banks pretty hard, time to get my thinking cap on whilst I had a job so that I could be a little bit prepared for the inevitable. I thought about so many new ventures I could do and with my many years of experience surely there was something I was good at!!

Then it happened on Wednesday 21st January - a day that will stay with me for a long time! A re-structure was on the cards for our whole team and we were asked if we wanted to apply to jobs in that new structure. My first thought was hooray this nightmare is finally over and I can spend more quality time at home and with my daughter, then reality sets in and you think OMG I do not have a job anymore!!

After some deep thinking I decided to take the voluntary option and I know now, nearly two weeks later, that it was the best decision I have made for many years! Free at last to do what I want and to finally work for myself and on my terms.

Watch this space for my next update, a new business needs a new name so time to go find it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment